Sunday, March 28, 2010

Corporatisation

This vague dream of climbing El Cap got a bit of substance to it last year when I was lucky enough to win an AMP scholarship. These scholarships are choice. No age limit or criteria, all you have to do is have a dream that captures the attention of the judging panel. You can read about the other recipients here. If you've got something rad you'd like to achieve I'd definitely recommend applying for the scholarship. The AMP folks I met were super supportive and genuine in their excitement about helping out other kiwis. I'm not a fan of the corporate world but this was a pleasant experience for me. It's a straight forward online application process, and then a brief interview. And if you're lucky enough to win you get to dress up and pretend you are fancy and go to the awards dinner.

This is me shaking hands with the PM. Apart from those silly ideas about mining in national parks and taxing the poor to give to the rich he seemed like a very nice man and he even politely inquired as to whether it would be possible for me to climb the Sky Tower...
Here's a pic of the the other recipients. I found meeting them all quite inspiring and I wish them all the best on their adventures.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck guys, I'll be following your progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeeeehaaaaaa! keep cranking hard JC and Derek!

    ReplyDelete